Monday, December 19, 2016

Back in the USA (or, The first thing I ate was donuts, I won't lie)

I’m sitting on my couch at home as I type this sentence. Looking up, I see the familiar furniture, the familiar pictures, even the familiar Christmas decorations that we put up every year around this time. My younger brother is playing with one of the dogs, patting his lap and praising the little guy when he finally makes it up.

It’s nice and it’s also really weird because it means I’m no longer in Kenya.

Five months and a bit later and I’ve returned back to where I started. But I hope I’m not the same. So I’ll take some time for reflection now, because I have a month before I’m off to my next site in Geneva (very different from Kenya).

Let’s begin with the physical changes (mainly because those are the most obvious). Firstly, I lost weight – about 20 pounds actually. I had to assure one of the sisters in Kenya that, as an American who doesn’t always eat the healthiest things, losing weight is a perfectly normal consequence of changing to a healthier and fresher diet. My sister was somewhat shocked by my decreased waistline, but as Christmas is coming up, I’m sure it will return to normal soon enough. I also have a bit more color. Considering that I am ridiculously white, any color at all is more than I usually have. Since I got sunburned about three days before I came home, the very, very slight tan is more noticeable than it usually would be.

But the physical changes are easy to notice. Behavioral changes are little bit more difficult to tell. Even so, there are few things that I’ve already noticed in the two-ish days I’ve been home. For example, I take really short showers now. I didn’t take particularly long showers before, but after spending two months in Karare during a drought (without hot water for most of the time as well), I’m much more conscious about my water usage. Same thing with electricity, but less so than with water. There’s also a part of me now that always wonders what else I can use something for after it’s been used for its initial purpose. Maybe this scrap paper can be used for decorations down the line, or maybe this misprinted document can be used to test weird p0rinting jobs. I’m sure this will eventually get on some people’s nerves as it can also lead to the unfortunate habit of hoarding. And I do not want to end up on that TV show.

Then there are the things that will appeared more slowly as I readjust to my home and family, the things that are emotional – or spiritual. There are an awful lot of things to be thankful for I’ve realized. For a house that not only gives you shelter, but is filled with memories of time with family and friends. For electricity that doesn’t turn off without warning, leaving you in darkness. For people waiting for you at the airport with signs that say, “Welcome home, we missed you.”



My time is Kenya has taught me that sometimes it’s the smaller things that we should be the most thankful for, because they are the things that bring us the most happiness. Despite what it may seem like sometimes, I can live without conveniences. While the internet is great, I won’t fall apart if I don’t have it. While telephones are amazing, my world won’t end if I can’t call someone whenever I want. Having a glass of wine is nice, but sharing a glass of water with a friend is more meaningful.

While I’m pretty private about my spirituality (though my name is pretty much a dead giveaway), I was living with Catholic sisters. I was able to go to Mass almost every day and participate in evening prayers and rosaries. There’ll be another post later that will touch on some of the things I worked through in Kenya, but suffice to say that having those moments for spiritual renewal were very important to me. And I’ve changed because of them as well.

A lot can change in five and a half months, and I’m still only halfway through my year! I’m not closing the door on the Kenya chapter of my life because it’s not a chapter; it’s a theme. It will continue to reappear again and again, scattered throughout the pages of my existence, the characters appearing in flashback scenes to offer comfort and guidance (and maybe even reappearing in person).


So here’s to my time in Kenya! May I be forever changed by the things I did, the places I went, and the people I met!



























No comments:

Post a Comment