Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Multiplication Practice (or, THE KIDS ARE COMING BACK!!)

The kids are returning!

Seriously, it is so quiet around here when the girls are gone and a lot of my tasks have been a bit more monotonous than they are when the girls are here.

(I actually like monotonous, but still.)

(Organizing old magazines can get kind of boring)

So because of the lack of kids, this isn’t really going to be much of an update – more of a chance to share some random stories about things that have happened while the girls have been gone.

Firstly, I finally went to the dispensary! I’ve been cutting gauze and packing medicines so some of the time I did my tasks over there. Unfortunately, the sisters hired some guys to cut the trees over there for firewood and…well, they aren’t as qualified as the people that my aunt works with to say the least. A heavy branch fell and damaged the dispensary roof. Brother Giorgio (one of the Salesian brothers next door) about had a conniption fit when he saw it. Sr. Catherine was not very pleased either.

Also, I went shopping with Sr. Pat and Sr. Patricia! Sr. Pat has basically the exact same personality as my grandmother (hi, Nana!) and going shopping with her was just like running errands with my grandmother. I had actually been feeling kind of homesick the day before, but it was impossible to stay homesick when you feel like you’re with your grandmother’s clone. Enjoy this picture of two nuns in a liquor store!

Wine and whisky make great gifts!

Our community and the Laura Vicuna community also welcomed Sr. Phyllis to Makuyu on Sunday! She’s sort of one of the head sisters for the entire Salesian congregation so it’s a big deal. She’s going to be in Kenya for two months, traveling around to all the different communities and representing Mother Mazzarello (one of the founders of the Salesians in case I haven’t mentioned it). She is also from California! AMERICA.

Captain on deck!

Walking under some awesome banana leaves

Dance her in, everyone!

Make that music!

Sr. Gisele and Sr. Phyllis have arrived!

(I just like this picture)

Sr. Phyllis with her lantern (because she's a light!)

Sr. Patricia introducing the skit

Sr. Laurenzia channeling her inner 6th grader

Sr. Jane channeling her inner 'mama'

Sr. Cecilia channeling...someone

The aspirants embracing their inner sisters

And Sr. Assunta as the most hilarious bishop ever

Fire Hazard Dancing

And finally, cutting of the cake!

The girls should be getting back soon so I’ll leave y’all here, but I’ll write again (eventually!).


Kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment