Thursday, June 29, 2017

That Summer Feeling! (or, When many young girls congregate together at camp)

CAMP HAS BEGUN!!

Camp Auxilium is a summer camp run by the Sisters in Corralitos, California and is hosting about 70 girls this week, a mix of day and overnight campers. I’m a counselor for Cabin 3 (which is the young almost-teenage girls) and they are awesome. Honestly, I’d kind of forgotten how much I love summer camp but let me tell you, forcing teenagers to dance like idiots to ridiculously catchy camp tunes has definitely reminded me!

I’m also teaching archery to the girls because, you know, I’m a total expert. (Though I actually am pretty decent because I loved it at my camp as a kid so I still remember what they taught us.)

SAFETY FIRST!!!

Gotta stand properly, too.

Aww, they're so cute!

The Cabin 4 girls are a lot more advanced because they’ve been doing it for a lot longer, having come to camp for years and years. The Cabin 1 girls are lucky if they get the arrow all the way to the target (but it’s super adorable). If they hit the target, and the arrow sticks, then they can get prize arrows to exchange for real prizes at the end of the week. Certain circles on the target get different levels of prize arrows, but we had one girl almost get the center bullseye…and she was from Cabin 1!

Night activities have included a scavenger hunt, movie night, and campfire so far and since our theme is High Seas, Lily and I have been doing a skit during one of the meals each day. The kids are utterly convinced that I am the pirate, but I will continue to deny any affiliation until my dying day (or at least Friday).

Wow, look at that total stranger

Anyway, I’m having an awful lot of fun, doing an awful lot of stuff, and hopefully we’ll be able to keep our campers together until the end of the summer. Prayers would be greatly appreciated!


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment