Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Makuyu (or, Home, Sweet Home)

I arrived in Mukuyu!

Having now been at Mukuyu for a three days, I now realize why Sr. Gisele (the provincial) reassigned me here rather than Dagoretti.

Nobody ever sleeps!

Seriously, when I got here on Saturday, I was already playing with the kids and looking over the yearly chronicle that the convent puts together for any spelling errors and way to expand upon what has already been written. On Sunday, I accompanied some of the kids to a mass (a confirmation mass!) about a thirty minute walk away while one of the other sisters accompanied the kids that were performing dance at a regional competition.

That’s not even taking into consideration the schedules everyone keeps! The girls in secondary school (high school for all Americans unfamiliar with the terms (though I bet you figured it out, you’re all so smart)) get up at 4:45 in the morning to start studying. STUDYING! Mass is at 6:30 am and school starts – starts – at 6:45 am! That’s for both the older and younger kids.

So yeah, I’m not too concerned with being bored.

In other news, I now have a house of my own since I am currently the only volunteer here, which is both great and weird. I actually unpacked myself and everything! Look Mom!

I have a bed!

And an organized dresser!

And a bathroom with things!

...ignore this bit.

It looks like I’ll maybe be tutoring in English, writing the convent chronicle, putting together a community album, supervising evening study time, and basically doing whatever else is needed to help the sisters out. They are currently short a sister so I’m going to do my best to fill in where I’m able.

But anyway, the mass. It was over five hours long. Here are some pictures to explain why.

First, we had to traditionally welcome the bishop

Cool hat is a necessity

And then there was the processional

Which had a lot of people
He made it in eventually

The psalm was pretty legit

And the presentation of the Gospel was...

...very involved

Eventually the homily started...

...(it was over an hour and a half, guys)...

Breaking props was involved

But we made it to Confirmation!

And it was a lot like Confirmation at home

We had a few students from the mission getting confirmed...

...and Sr. Shanty made sure to congratulate them!

Then there was the Bringing of the Gifts

Which was super cool!

(This part was the same though. Obviously.)

Then the bishop was presented with some gifts

And when he was supposed to process out...

...he stayed behind to conduct the choir

But he blessed some of our girls, so I'll let it slide
For your viewing pleasure, I also took some video so readers of my blog can enjoy the differences between American Mass and Kenyan Mass.



Interesting Fact of the Day:

  • While traveling to Mukuyu, I found out that there are speedbumps on Kenya’s highways. Because everyone has to slow down to get over the bump, there are usually people walking in the street trying to sell stuff to people in the cars. I just stared straight ahead so they didn’t think I wanted something. Also, there are crosswalks right after the bump. So this happened a lot.
THAT SEEMS KIND OF DANGEROUS
  • Most of the kids I have met have asked me whether or not I have seen Barack Obama in person. When I say no, they ask why. I then have had to explain that Texas and Washington D.C. are not exactly close. Then they ask whether I watched when Obama visited Kenya. Basically, all these kids know a lot about Obama and want to make sure I do, too. Which I find kind of hilarious.
  • I showed the girls here pictures of my family and every time they saw a picture of my mom, they gasped. According to them, she are beautiful (emphasis taken from the kids). Since I will probably look just like you when I'm older, I think this is great news for both my mom and me!

Kiswahili phrase of the Day:


  • Elimu ni mwangaza – Education is light


Until next time,

Kwaheri!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!!! I'm praying for you and all your children. I'm going to our nursing home next Monday with the kids from Prolife Boot Camp. I'm sure memories of my girls singing will be there. Love you sweet angel daughter of mine. PS you do have a gorgeous mom, and you're pretty gorgeous yourself 😘

    ReplyDelete